H-Y-P-E, a four letter word that can A) leave you breathless with excitement or B) leave you rolling your eyes.
Being a book blogger means that your in the know of all these books that EVERYONE, is gearing up for. But for some people, hype can be bad thing. Today, I’m going too talk about the pro’s and con’s of bookish hype.
- Bookish hype can really be worth it – I found out really good books through hype. Six of Crows was (and still is) such a hyped book, and I loved that book all the way to it’s acknowledgement page (yes, I actually read those). And also Throne of Glass, and now I’m planning on reading the Raven Boys. And Caraval! I loved tha book as well.
- Anticipating more books – So as a book is hyped around social media (like Insatagram) you just can’t help, but want to read it. This is one of those bibliophile feelings that just can’t be put in words (but I’m trying, and failing lol). You just have to add it on your TRB list, cause it is so hyped. Which leads to you looking forward to more books, which equals happiness.
- Brings you out of your comfort zone. – Sometimes when I look at a book that was widely talked about, I just read it. And the genre might have nothing to do with what I usually like, but I’ll still read. You get where I’m going with this??
- Hype is NOT worth it – When you get caught up in a book that was hyped, and give it a ‘meh’ rating (or worse) it reallky brings you down. You start to not trust books that are super hyped, and some of those books can be pretty good.
- PRESSURE – I hate pressure, I’m sure you hate pressure, but sometimes you can’t help but get sucked up into it. And most of the time, it doesn’t work out for the best. When everyone is raving about X book, I feel a bit… pressured to read X book as well.
And it get’s even worse when you don’t like the book. You feel out of the loop.
If I were logical, I would be on the negative side for hype, cause hype = bad experiences with books. But I’m not because I’m a rebel. I’m actually neutral because I do find out more books through hype. But sometimes, I don’t even care because if I see a book that’s appealing to me, I read it.
So I’m totally neutral on this, but I know some people who tend to stay away from hype. What about you? Are you for or against hype? What are some hyped books that were worth it? What were some hyped books that you found ‘meh’?