On March 2016, I did a post on diversity, and the importance of it, and now I’m going to delve into a small, yet important sub section of this topic.
Muslims in books.
I identify myself as a South Asian Muslim, and I haven’t been able too see myself in other books at all. In the few books there are with main characters that are Muslim , they don’t really describe my lifestyle (a Muslim-American).
Representation By The Numbers.
- There is more negativity about Muslims than alcohol, drugs, and cancer according to 416 Labs.
This could affect the smol 8 million (from Americas 313.9 million) Muslim-Americans.
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT
- With recent events occurring in the United States [See Trump’s travel ban], Muslims are considered derogatory terms, that seem to alienate them. I think, it’s possible that literature can demolish that feeling. Seeing yourself reflected in another person, fake or real can make someone feel less… alone. While people might think that’s not important, I disagree. Loneliness can often lead to depression, which can often lead too suicide.
- There is about 8 million Muslims in the world. As a population that big, you would think that there would be more books revolving around Muslims in the western countries. We are still part of this world, and our lives/stories deserved to be told in a positive way that reflects us TRULY.
- A regularity of Muslim appearances can help other people understand more about our religion, and banish many misconceptions. Sooo many misconceptions. Sharing our stories can show that we are just like any normal person.
- MORE!! DIVERSE!! BOOKS!! More diverse book means more diverse stories.
- I don’t want to be seen as a terrorist, and I’m sure others don’t either. Many people believe
These are some of my favorites!
I want too see new breakthroughs in literature where….
…Muslims in books are a regular thing.
… Muslims being part of book that’s about romance!
…Muslims from ALL OVER the world (Wouldn’t a white Muslim be awesome?!)
This may have been the shortest serious post I’ve ever done. But I think this topic is important. What do you think? Don’t you think Muslims in books are important, given recent events? What are some REALLY good books you have read with a muslim character? What’s your opinion on this? What else ethnicity/race should be put more in books?