Title: By Your Side
Author: Kasie West
Rating: 3 stars
Blurb (GR): In this irresistible story, Kasie West explores the timeless question of what to do when you fall for the person you least expect. Witty and romantic, this paperback original from a fan favorite is perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins and Morgan Matson.
When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.
Only he doesn’t come. No one does.
Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?
- Romance – The relationship between Dax, and Autumn was so cute, and lovely. Of course this is what I expected from Kasie West! I just loved the creative way, West brought Autumn, and Dax together. The scenes between these two were so CUTE! I had a serious case of blushing when I read those, because it was so cute.
- Characters – I loved Autumn, she was really strong, despite the fact she panicked easily, and has bad anxiety issues. I didn’t like some of her decisions, but I understand why she chose to do what she did. Overall, I liked her as a character. Dax was, at first a big mystery. I didn’t know what to make of him, except for that fact that HE IS PURE PERFECTION! Dax was an amazing tsundere (a person who is closed off, but then later opens up), and I loved his character to pieces.
- Premise – Autumn is one lucky gal, because she get’s trapped IN A LIBRARY with a really CUTE GUY! The plot was a good concept, and the fact that they got trapped in a library made me love it more.
- Pacing – I can’t believe I’m saying this about one of my favorite authors, but I felt like the pacing was really uneven. In the beginning, it went really fast, but then towards the second-half of the book it went really fast.
- Boring – This probably has to with the writing style, but there were several parts that I found myself being bored too. Like I said, there were some parts that went slow. Those parts were really boring.
- Horrible Friendship – What kind of friends does Autumn have? Even one of her “best friends” treated her like a polite stranger. I could make a whole list about her friends, didn’t act like her actual friends! I also disliked one especially, because of the way he was acting towards Autumn. He didn’t even understand the situation!
So do you see how my hands are kinda tied? 3 bad things, 3 good things account for a total of 3 stars! Were you planning on reading this book? Will you give it a try (please do, and tell me what you think)? Was this review even helpful?